Thursday 25 November 2010

Cushy cushion

Today I am excited, yes very excited to show you my completed cushion!
What a labour of love this has been together with my "candy granny square" blanket.

Here it is yesterday


And here it is today... {drum roll} ta dah!


I am loving the posy in the centre


This was a very easy pattern to follow and I was fortunate enough to find a round feathered pillow in Dunelm Mill for £2.50 which I snapped up.

The pattern goes as follows:
  • I used DK organic cotton with a 4mm hook
  • dc (USA) = tr (UK)
  • Chain 4 and slip stitch to form a ring
  • Round 1: chain 3(counts as 1 dc) followed by 10 dc into the ring, join with slip stitch to 3rd chain of initial chain
  • Round 2: chain 3, 1 dc into same stitch and then 2 dc into each dc from the 1st round, totaling 22 stitches in your circle
  • Round 3: chain 3, 1 dc into same stitch, *1 dc into next stitch, followed by 2 dc into next stitch* repeat between ** to complete the circle round and always end with a slip stitch into 3rd chain of initial chain
  • Round 4: chain 3, 1 dc into same stitch * 1 dc into next 2 stitches, followed by 2 dc into next stitch* repeat between ** to complete the circle round, end with a slip stitch into 3rd chain of initial chain
  • Round 5: as above but * 1 dc into next 3 stitches, followed by 2 dc into next stitch*
  • Round 6: as above but * 1 dc into next 4 stitches, followed by 2 dc into next stitch*
  • Round 7: as above but *1 dc into next 5 stitches, followed by 2 dc into next stitch*
  • Continue going round to make the size cushion you want always increasing by 1 stitch in each round. You can make this as stripy as you like by changing colours in the rows as you go along
I hope this pattern makes sense, it's a very typical "round" pattern which can be found on ravelry too.

As for the flowers I learnt how to make them from the absolutely fabulous Alice . The link to Alice's blog will take you straight to her tutorial on making these roses, easy peasy but oh so effective. Thank you Alice for all your inspiration xox

So that's all folks....Have a cushy day everyone xox




6 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous cushion! Well done! I would love to make one :) Ames

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so pretty! I love the little posy in the centre - it really sets the stripes off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely lovely, the flowers make it a perfect cushion.

    Your post showing the lanes made me very wistful for a place I wish we'd never left.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS! The posy really does make it special doesn't it. Love your colour choices too, well done! Love Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Penelope, I literally gasped when I saw the picture of the posy all sewn on and finished! It is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sooooooo sweet with the leaves and the little buttons in the centre, your friend will LOVE it.
    I am so jealous of your round cushion find, well done...
    and yay for the knitted roses! Aren't they the simplest!!!
    I hate reading my May June July posts, I see the photos and they're all blurry ha ha its embarrassing!
    Penelopeeeeeeeeeeee(wheedling tone happening here)
    I reeeeeeeeeeeeally want to make a bluebird of happiness and since you freestyled it yourself.... is this something you could teach your devoted followers to do!!!!!!!!
    (hint hint!!!!)
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    enjoy giving your pillow to your friend, she will love it

    ReplyDelete