Tuesday 9 October 2012

Between season fingerless gloves


Remember these fingerless gloves that I was crocheting over the weekend? Well, they turned into these.....



Easy peasy crochet fingerless gloves and some fun with buttons and embroidery thread on Sunday evening. The little sunflower wooden buttons come from here and the little heart and flower shaped buttons came with a white stuff label when I bought a shirt in the Summer sales.



I wrapped them up and gave them to Lindsey on Monday morning as an early birthday present. I couldn't let her hands be chilly until the end of October when she celebrates her birthday, now could I? :o)

These really are easy if you know how to do basic crochet. So, in UK terms I'll tell you how I did it:


  • Search your stash for some DK merino yarn (I used 1 ball of Rico Merino as found here) and the more tweedy blue was a bit of DK yarn (sorry can't remember what it was called) I found left over from another project in my stash.
  • Chain 35 stitches + 2 stitches which counts as the first dc
  • DC into next 35 stitches and *at the end of the row make 3 stitches which counts as the first tr stitch
  • Now tr stitch into each stitch of the whole row* and repeat from * to * until you have reached your desired length.
  • My fingerless gloves have 16 rows of tr
  • After the 16th row I then crocheted a scallop-type edge by sc into first 2 stitches then to make my scallop in the third stitch I did 1htr, 1tr, 1htr stitch. 
  • After each scallop, sc 2 stitches and then on the third stitch make another scallop
  • Do this till the end of your 35 stitches and snip your yarn whilst leaving a thread long enough to sew the glove up.
  • Fold the glove in half lengthwise and stitch up making sure you leave a space for your thumb{I normally pop the folded glove over my hand to get a feel of where I want to leave a hole for my thumb}
  • Now that you have a stitched up the actual glove, take your contrasting colour yarn and add as many rows onto the bottom of the glove by crocheting in more dense and warmer dc stitches. I did 6 rows, you can do as many as you want to go up your arm. This makes the glove quite tight to put on but nice and cosy when you are wearing it.
  • Finally, embellish with whatever you choose, buttons, embroidery, crochet flowers etc, or you can leave them nice and plain and simple.
I do hope this has made some kind of sense? If you give these a go, please do tell me, I'd love to see what you make. If the pattern is confusing feel free to let me know on my email: violetsandvelvet@gmail.com - I'll try help you through your questions.

In the meantime, I'm going to indulge in my beautiful brand new book I ordered from Amazon last week. I have been lusting after this book for an age and finally I treated myself with my squirrelled away pennies. Oh, frabjous day, callooh, callay! Angie Lewin I heart your prints x


Thanks once again for your visiting
Loving your comments and as Annie from Knitsofacto says "comments are the best bits"
xox
See you soon.

17 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the buttons and embroidery!!! So adorable and oh-so-fashionable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous gloves Penelope! Loving the detailing you've added, makes them even more special!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lucky friend to get such a beautiful present. This is reason I want to learn to crochet - but I seem to be failing miserably!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colour and gorgeous gloves! Your friend is very lucky indeed x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh those look really really nice .. those White Stuff buttons are just the best aren't they?! I'm SO close to finishing my jumper project but have run into trouble in the final furlong. Hoping my local yarn shop can rescue it but in the meantime I've been thinking about knitting some gloves .. I want to try out cabling next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute fingerless gloves! The embroidery and buttons make it extra special. I like the little scallops too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! Love the button detail, and the colours! I know I've just knitted my own, now I'm going to have to crochet some too!
    Penny xxx
    P S Alice's gorgeous card has arrived, loved all the sticky additions, thank her so much, she's a sweetie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I have been meaning to make some for myself and my daughter now that the weather is turning a bit more chilly. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are gorgeous Penelope! I love all the pretty details you've added, and your workmanship is beautiful! Sigh...
    Tania ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh they are, they are :D

    Love the mitts Penelope. Do you know as this seems to be the third time this morning I've typed a lament for my lack of crochet skills I think I might practice a little this afternoon ... a hook, some yarn and an online tutorial ... how hard can it be!

    I was given that book for my birthday last year and it's one of my favourites, enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bet your friend was absolutely thrilled Penelope. What a lovely book to have for the weekend too. I keep meaning to visit St Jude's as we're not that far away and I love the prints too.

    Have a great weekend.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Penelope
    Just what I am looking for and these mitts are so nice. Very original the idea of the embroidery and the buttons...I wonder if I can make them so nice as yours. My sister is a school bus drive so she frequently uses fingerless gloves and her hands get so cold....yes I'd like to make these for her. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love the embroidery and buttons ... not being an embellisher I really admire that skill in others!

    The book looks wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are GORgeous!!! Love the buttons and embroidery, simple and practical but SO pretty too :-)
    Thanks so much for sharing the pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That protea fabric is from Skinny La Minx - I bought it here :

    http://www.saintsandpinners.co.uk/product/cloud_9_proteas/

    ReplyDelete
  16. The fingerless gloves with mitten flaps are appropriate to be used in daily regular life or even when people have to move out. custom fingerless gloves

    ReplyDelete