Friday 15 November 2013

52 Weeks of happy 46/52



This week I have had quite a few happy little moments, one of them was starting to make some Christmas baubles for the tree from some old white cotton I found in a charity shop ages ago. These are such fun and really easy to make (pattern from here) I started with white , but am sure I will move onto something more colourful.


Just being aware of how beautiful the world around us is, especially in this season. I can't wait for the first frost here in the south, it makes me feel like God has sprinkled the world with icing sugar.



Our seaside meanderings and collecting always makes me happy.


Look at the perfection in this pebble!



Last Weekend I went to a local craft fair and bought a couple of divine smelling homemade soaps to go with my face cloths I have been knitting as simple Adult Christmas presents. They are full of geranium, orange, frankincense and other spicy oils and smell amazing.


I like the way this unbleached cotton wash cloth has turned out, all bumpy for texture on one side and all smooth on the other. This is very easily achieved by:
  • Cast on a ODD number of stitches (I chose 41)
  • Row 1: Knit 3st then purl 1, knit 1 until the last 3 stitches which you then knit
  • Row 2: Knit the whole row
  • Repeat rows 1 and 2 until desired length
  • Simple!


Last, but not least I have started hooking the very easy and addictive South Bay Shawlette just for fun. I found a ball of Noro silk sock wool in my stash and thought the colours looked pretty.

I plan to plonk myself on the sofa tonight with a nice glass of wine and carry on making this and planning some other Christmas treats.

Hope you have a lovely weeks ending and find some time to do some unwinding and relaxing. Thanks as always for visiting.

xox
See you all soon

 

19 comments:

  1. Lovely happiness here ... I really like your washcloths and the shawl is really beautiful ... wishing you a happy weekend ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your baubles and though amazing, then your washcloths, beautiful, then the shawl!! It is beautiful, so pretty and delicate. I can understand why you are enjoying making it, and I am sure that you will love wearing it too! Great happies. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple pleasures indeed... good handmade soap in a must for me too... as for the web and pebble natures perfection found... Cx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shawl is going to be lovely, I wish I could stumble across Noro in my stash without knowing I have it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shawl is going to be beautiful. I love your Christmas gifts for adults, they will be very much appreciated, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking at that shawl for ages, I look forward to seeing how yours turns out, so far it is beautiful.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your seaside photos and your Christmas baubles Penny.
    The shawl looks like it will be stunning.
    Have a happy weekend.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those baubles Penny and what a great idea for grown up Christmas presents. I may just have to steal this one from you... we have a soap maker at our local market and I know she'd love more custom! The lavender bar is my favourite :) Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those baubles Penny - might give them a go! I've been crocheting dishcloths to pair with some coal tar soap for my craft fair and the results look similar to yours - really tactile. The picture of the seaweed is incredible - well done! Have a lovely weekend x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I'm new to your blog, pressed the follow button yesterday. It's a beautiful space!! I love your baubles and the gorgeous shells. I so miss the sea. Now I'm planning on teaching myself to knit again and I was wondering if you could tell me what yarn you used for the washcloths please. Enjoy your weekend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness - love the shawl! Will a single ball be enough? I have some Noro - erm, I think 'garden' in the name ....and I have no idea what to use it for as I don't really knit - but I might be able to crochet this if it really is easy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you've been busy and you've got Christmas pressies under control already. You lucky lady. I'm the type of person who has to have all organised by the end of this month but I feel like time is already running out!!!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for getting back to me sweetie and also for your sweet reply. Will give these a go. It's been years since I last knitted so it will be interesting. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lot of lovely projects you're making! and gorgeous photos, I love the driftwood/coral picture with the bright sky, so lovely!
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like all your photos, but the most is the shawl, you can already see that is going to be beautiful.

    Lluisa x

    http://spinningyarn74.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. it all looks cosy and comfortable in your home, I quite fancy joining you. Looking forward to seeing your shawl, it's off to a pretty promising start :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those soaps and face cloths will make excellent pressies....oh and those baubles are beautiful! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those face cloths and soaps will make the nicest gift. I wish I 'd kept a face cloth back for myself now! Love the look of those crochet-covered baubles, they will look so festive and pretty on the tree. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi dear Penny

    You sound good and I hope is the case too. Been thinking of you all, especially when the footie is mentioned, even though I know I can't add you into that equation.

    I love your first picture, those baubles look lovely. I'm sure you said once you didn't like white yarn too much so I wonder if you've undergone a change of heart as with the gold they are divine.

    Lisa X

    ReplyDelete