Wednesday 13 November 2013

Nature in the Home

On Sunday we simply had to get out into the glorious sunshine. I felt like a woman on the edge of time desperately seeking those rays of sheer warmth and delight after all the wet and grey and dismal days we have been having of late. We went walking along the coast and lay on the warm pebbles at the seaside with eyes closed secure in the knowledge that we were being renewed by the suns energy.


As we walked along the coast I felt inspired to pick a few of these dried out flower heads(I don't know what plant this is)to do something for Lou's Nature in the home series. I scrambled around the bottom of my bag and found odd bits of cotton and a little wool and together with some of the fishing wire I found on the beach I got myself busy winding.


The fishing wire was a tangled mess and I tried to retrieve as much as possible. The winding was very relaxing and didn't involve much concentrating as I enjoyed the view.


I bumped into a friend of mine and she thought I had lost the plot with my makings :o) We had a giggle about these funny cotton and wool bound flowers and even though she didn't understand I was determined to bring them home to admire this week.



And so I did! Not the prettiest thing I have ever made, but definitely one of the more gentle lazy sunshine soaked forgetting about all your troubles things I've made. Nature definitely restores what life seems to strip away from me.

I hope you were able to get out in the sun this last Sunday.
xox

17 comments:

  1. I think they are fantastic. Fishing line left by all those people fishing is a real hazard to birds, they get caught up in it and end up starving, it is very disturbing. So just think you made something fun and probably saved a few birds.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them. And every time you look at them, they'll remind you of the laughter on the beach with the sun shining its goodness onto you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a good day to me! Another sunny one here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh they are just beautiful Penny! I love the rustic, natural look to them! They are just so pretty in that lovely little bottle! I have so much catching up to do on your blog... I do hope you've been well! I'm off to grab a coffee and get back to you...

    Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they are what we call cow parsley over here. They look very similar. I love what you did with them putting good use to that nasty fishing wire.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bit of true upcycling creativity and life saving too well done you!! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the flowers are some sort of sedum, which probably quite like living by the coast. They look great and if you had fun making them that is all that matters! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a neat idea, I love it. I used to have a little glass bottle like that. It said 'Eiffel Lemonade' from Paris. I found it in a garden of a house I lived in in Cape Town of all the places! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Restorative.....I'd have to agree with you....I was walking the dog this morning and had one of those.....breathe......moments......I think it's definitely a beach thing, my mum talks about breathing in the ozone, not sure what that means, but sometimes it's definitely what you need. Great flower art!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of you creating on the beach, with the waves lapping in the background. I bet it was heavenly! thank you for your comment on my blog too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fab idea! I often take my knitting to the beach, but haven't thought of anything like this. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow these are so pretty and such a lovely thing to do whilst sitting on the beach in the sunshine too. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, nature restores, and simple textile activity, the two are a perfect match :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are right, nature does restore something to us, even if it's only the briefest moment. And I can see how mixing yarn and nature - two of your favourite things, I imagine - made you so happy. x

    ReplyDelete