Sunday 12 January 2014

Moody blues (and greys)

These past few days I have been a little grumpy, I think it's that January feeling and just always being tired. I haven't felt inspired to start knitting a new pattern and have been grateful for the smallness of crochet flowers and BBC iplayer catch up of The Bridge

I have really enjoyed covering my wooden hangers with left over yarn in my stash, which is looking rather low on the stock front, may need to correct that sometime soon! I initially thought, happy, light, bright, beautiful Spring themed hangers full of the breathe of new life and waking up from the Winter, however my mood won in the end and my moody blues and greys were the first colours I gravitated to. I love blues and greys and despite maybe representing a darker side to me they make me feel very normal and if I say so rather happy and complete. I am pleased that I can accept that each day, depending on my mood my colour palette can change. I try not to think that I have a default colour, but if I was pushed it would be every shade of blue on this good earth. Teal, turquoise, Prussian blue all melts me away.

So enough blabbing, do you fancy seeing how I added pops of colour to my moody blues and greys? Here goes...

That very bright pink was far too zingy for the camera!

The bright blue flower in the centre is from Lucy's pattern May Roses. I love the idea of fields and fields of blue roses. The very bright pink centre flower in the photo below is also a May Rose and all the little flowers on the sides are Lucy's teeny tiny flower pattern.

The light pink rose in the centre was a pattern from this Nicki Trench book which I have on my crafty shelf. It was the first time I have ever crocheted the dtr stitch which sure is a yarn gobbler, but good fun with all that twisting and flicking of the hook.

 

So there we have it, my sweet and simple moody blues and greys with pops of hopeful pinks. I love that these are now going to have an important function in my domestic life and that they will remind me that it's good to give into your moods at times.

See you soon and thanks for stopping

xox

 

17 comments:

  1. They are GORGEOUS Penny, I love how the flowers stand out against the darker backgrounds.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely, and sooo much nicer than when you bought them! Lovely addition of the flowers too Penny. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderfully uplifting those sweet hangers are. Sorry to hear you have been feeling grumpy. I get grumpy because I am grumpy sometimes. It is an odd cycle. :) Here is to cheerier days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny I love them....superb and so cheery uppy...D xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hangers look very classy with those beautiful flowers on them. I think covered hangers are lovely to hang clothes on - no slipping off and no pesky points from the wood. Great use of scrap yarn. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love what you did with these hangers...they are so pretty and practical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally understand the colour/mood thing. I am doing 'Blue Lakes and Rocky Shores' colour scheme for my felt bangles at the moment - which is all variations of blue, but on the cool side. I like the blue crochet roses - not sure about the bright pinks and red ......I think I would stay with the cool blues vibe myself. But then, I'm not you, Pen dear and who am I to say! We all have our own colour likes and dislikes and indeed different colours affect us differently. I am having a facebook conversation with one of my Burwell Bash (music) friends at the moment about our emotional reactions to colour.
    Be interesting to see the new stash......what colours will appeal to you on the day!! Lxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are gorgeous! And I love how the darker colours set off the bright flowers - very elegant! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look really great Penny. The bright flowers are the perfect finishing touch.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the little flowers - they add a lovely touch to the hangers.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello lovely lady. I so need to get my act together and get with the bridge, I have heard and read so many good things about it, so I reckon I need a date with iPlayer and sort it out. I love what you have done with your hangers and the blues and greys are perfect, especially seeing that you have prettify them so beautifully with those gorgeous flowers. You put me to shame as I have about 30 wooden hangers that I need to cover, a project for a lifetime me thinks. Enjoy your week xoxo PS lovely to see you on IG

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're wonderful! You did a great job with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are beautiful Penny ... I had a sneak peek on IG ... I'm a blue girl too ... any blue will do ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! I hope you have something fabulous to hang on them :)
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are wonderful. The flowers add just the perfect amount of fun and color. Hope you get rid of your January blahs soon.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think these are stunning. I love grey very much, it's neutral without being bland, and those bright pink flowers just pop against it. What a happy, satisfying make I imagine this was! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you have any tips for making the Nicki Trench (pink) rose? I've tried making this one from her Cute & Easy Crochet book but I can't seem to get the hang of it. I think I'm going wrong early in the pattern because it's a little vague. Any tips would be really appreciated.

    ReplyDelete